SERVES 2, PREPARATION TIME 20 MINUTES, COOKING TIME 40 MINUTES
Also called the ‘Ulster Fry Up’, this is a true Irish treat. Either sampled before the start of a busy day, or enjoyed as a leisurely weekend brunch, The full Irish Breakfast provides a great start to the day, any day!
- 6 Sausages
- 2 large Tomatoes, halved
- 12 medium Mushrooms, sliced lengthways
- 1 can Baked Beans
- 2 slices of buttered Toast
- 4 slices of Bacon (smoked or unsmoked)
- 2 large Eggs
For the Potato Cakes:
- 1 large Potato
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- Dash of oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Peel and chop the potato into small squares.
- In a saucepan of boiling water, place the potato chunks and cook until softened.
- Place the Sausages onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until they turn a dark golden brown and are cooked through.
- Whilst the sausages are cooking, drain and mash the potato. Add the flour and then shape into flat cakes, about 5cm in width.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and fry the potato cakes, turning carefully with a spatula so both sides turn a light golden colour. Cook for 5 minutes on each side until both sides are crispy.
- In the meantime halve the Tomatoes and chop the Mushrooms.
- Fry the Bacon with the mushrooms and the halved tomatoes, and in a separate frying pan fry the Eggs.
- Heat the Baked Beans in a saucepan until bubbling gently.
- Toast and then butter the Bread.
- Remove the sausages from the oven. You can remove any cooking grease by blotting them with kitchen paper.
- Serve the Irish Breakfast, and enjoy with a good dollop of Ketchup or Brown sauce.