Serves 4, 5mins Preparation, 15mins cooking
- 25g/1oz butter
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 600ml/1 pint milk
- salt and white pepper
- 80g/3oz cheese, grated (e.g. mature cheddar, Gouda, gruyère)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and white pepper.
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt. Don t re-boil the sauce or it will become stringy